Saturday, September 30, 2006

Okay, I'm stumped

Hi, I'm Liz from Rochester, NY and have jumped into this pattern like a pig jumps into mud!
I have finished the body with no problems, but I have started the first sleeve and can't understand about the increases. First, I tried it on dpns and hated it. Just too fiddly for me, so I ripped back and started working it flat. Much better. I added a stitch at each end for seaming. So, then I started the increases but it sounds like you are supposed to add stitches in pattern, but I can't figure out how to do it. Do I just stay in stockinette or am I supposed to add in additional pattern repeats. If that is what I'm supposed to do, do I wait until I have a full 12 stitches on each end? Bonne, how did you do it?
TIA
Liz

2 Comments:

Blogger Rosemary said...

Wow, you don't waste time do you? I don't even have yarn yet (YET, lol)

I haven't looked that far in the pattern, but I would suspect that you would try to anticipate what the pattern would look like before the pattern that exists before the increases. Sorta looking at the chart backwards. If that makes any sense.

8:39 PM  
Blogger Bonne Marie said...

Right on, Rosemary! You really put it in a nutshell!

This pattern uses paired YO with a SSK or K2TOG and is a 12-st repeat of 2 6-st sections.

You always need enough stitches to complete that paired sequence.

To get enough stitches to start working the pattern again, you will need 6 sts before and after the full patterns those stitches are next to.

The sweater in the picture is size 38. I started the eyelet pattern after the 6th sleeve increase.

The increase area before that magic number was reached was worked in Stockinette St.

6:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home