Sunday, November 26, 2006

Slick Raglans

Raglan shaping. Seamless. Maintain the eyelet lace pattern. Cripes! Someone wise posted here a while ago that it helped her to think of the eyelet lace pattern as 2 mirror images of a 6 stitch pattern, which of course, it is. I have a thing about not leaving things hanging. For me, the eyelet needs to travel neatly into the raglan or it just doesn't work. I've also been reading the lace knitters' wisdom that says, don't do the increase if you can't do the decrease. My plan for the raglan shaping is to follow the pattern from SSK to YO k1 (6 stitches) If I can do the matching K1 YO to K2Tog great. If not then those 6 stitches will ALL smooth over to stockinette and stay that way until the next eyelet meets the raglan seam. Make sense? Maybe a picture will help. This is the right sleeve. Ariann's back is on the left of the image, the sleeve is on the right. You can clearly see the stockinette panel I created by avoiding doing increases in pattern. I think I like the way this is working out. By changing a group of 6 stitches to stockinette I am creating a small panel of smooth stitches that seems to be matching quite nicely with the sleeve panel. So far so good anyway. What do you folks think?

2 Comments:

Blogger Kandy said...

Gina - that looks great! I may try that on my second Ariann. Thanks for posting this, I had a bugger of a time with the raglan decreases - for some reason I just couldn't get my head around no YO if there's no corresponding decrease. Sometimes I'm just s.l.o.w. hahahaha

4:32 PM  
Blogger Bonne Marie said...

Hi Gina! Beautiful work! AND, you are absolutely correct! If you look at the chart, you'll see that every YO has corresponding DEC, either SSK or K2TOG. It is a 1-to-1 balance.

So, if you can't do one, you don't work the other, either. Since these are six stitch *spans* you will have a possible 6 stitch area that merges into the raglan shaping very nicely.

Well done!

4:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home