Thursday, December 07, 2006

MUST SOLVE!

My Ariann has been on the needles since I started in October. I have been in my country, Japan for 5 weeks and came back here on this past Sunday. I kept myself busy with what I need to do there. Any way I have made slow progress on Ariann there. If I was in the mood, I worked on my Ariann.
**I'm now working on the smallest one, so it's supposed to measure 16.75 ".**


I am now concerned about a few things with the body I had already knitted up, though. First, my Ariann's body looks really compact. The photos that other knitters show on the KAL are that it's supposed to be wider than mine. Their eyelet holes form clear line on the body. Mine forms tight and thick. Did I choose wrong size of needles?For that reason, I tried working on the sleeve with lager needles than I used. Surprisingly I could make the gauge fine and can see my eyelet holes clearly without expanding the fabric. Obviously I was wrong, so I have to frog out all the body and redo...
Is that right?

But the road is long.

7 Comments:

Blogger Bonne Marie said...

But remember we're all in it with you! This is so sad! If the pattern wasn't open but tight, then the needles were the wrong size. I have done this myself. In fact, I just ripped out part of a sock because of the very same problem. I am going to have to go up a needle size to get the right gauge - and poof! There goes all the hard work.

But, if you can stand it, take a deep breath, and rip (redo).

4:33 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

Once I knit a Chicknits Ribby Shell all the way to the armholes in dk weight cotton only to discover that I had more ribs on one side then the other! RRRRIP! And just last night I ripped out a Samus cardigan, also to the arm divisions, that was at least 3 sizes too big. It's worth it in the end.

7:06 PM  
Blogger Kucki68 said...

Try blocking before frogging. Lacy stuff does block out and if you do that after knitting to the right size, it will be too big.

12:23 AM  
Blogger Koko said...

Bonne Marie,
No, my Ariann's pattern is not open, that's why it looks very tight and thick. I think I should try to go up a needle size. Fortunately I have got good suggestion on my blog today that I should try to do swatch of eyelet pattern with the same needles that I knitted the body and then do blocking the swatch. I would see how my Ariann pattern changes in the size. I want to try that method first then I make a decision what I should do for my Ariann. You informed us that blocking brings out the beauty of the eyelet pattern and usually, lace is not ready to wear right off the needle. Actually this is the first time I have tried lace on a sweater. Every thing would be good to learn.
Thank you, Bonne Marie. I never forget taking a deep breath...

1:50 AM  
Blogger Koko said...

Gina,
If we really need to rip, we have to do it because we could learn something from them. Thank you, gina. You told me that I am not one who feels sad... Oh yes, it's worth it in the end.

1:53 AM  
Blogger Koko said...

Thank you, Kucki for your kind suggestion. I might surprised you by what I didn't know anything about lace. I would have learnt many things from my problem.

I now try to do swatch of eyelet pattern and then to do wet blocking the swatch to make sure how the pattern changes in the size.

many thanks to you...

2:09 AM  
Blogger Ingrid Hendy said...

If you look closely at just about everyones Adriann before blocking the eyeles appear closed and the fabric dense. I think most of us felt some trepidation that we'd finish and Adriann would not block to the correct size. I think we were all wrong. Before you frog the body do a test swatch off the eyelet pattern to see how your yarn changes. BTW I love the colour of your Adriann

2:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home