Monday, October 09, 2006

Adriann in the Sun

Progress was made on Adriann over the weekend. Although I started her last Thursday night, I frogged that. I started with just the back and in the 38 inch chest size. However I found that Merlin was knitting up a little smaller than Bonne-Maries schematic and the yarn would make bulky seams. Furthermore (excuse the language but I am doing a lot of scientific writing at the moment and it spills over...the upside is that procrastination means more blogging, because blogging is technically writing)....Furthermore, the larger size would require all the Merlin I have and as I brought it on sale a while ago I dread to think about whether I can find more. So now I am knitting the 40 inch size with the fronts and backs together just as Bonne-Marie has in her pattern. The downside is that there are a lot of stitches, that make the knitting very heavy and with string-like yarn to start hands get very tired.

So here is Adriann Sunday morning...I am now at the 3rd increase and contemplating redoing the first button hole as I balls-ed up the placement within the button band and it is not centered. This should be a joyful process as another fun aspect of Merlin is it loves to split. Before I am too down on Linen as a yarn I will say that the tunic of linen I made last year while at sea (and that is the only reason I finished such an enormous project) has worn and worn and looks as good as the day I finished (better because the stitches have 'healed' my one mistake)...and it has softened with every wash.


Blogger Rosemary said...

I really like the color :) Hope you get it worked out to where you can knit it comfortably.

10:16 AM  
Blogger Bonne Marie said...

m'lady - I have my fingers and toes crossed for success with this yarn - it is SO BEAUTIFUL! And you know, just like you said, it gets better and better with washing and wearing...

5:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home