Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Hint du Jour: Wraps per Inch

Hello all! This is sort of a hint :) [More of demo?]

This weekend, I made a wraps-per-inch yarn stick for Ariann, using worsted weight wools I thought might work well in this pattern. [If you aren't familiar with this concept, here's a great explanation written by the fabulous Jackie from Heartstrings Fiber Arts: http://www.heartstringsfiberarts.com/wpi.shtm]. I've been playing around with the WPI of various yarns for awhile now and must say the more I explore the better I like this way of categorizing yarn. It uses the physical characteristics of the strand to describe a size range - IMHO, more useful than yards per gram/oz or those sometime misleading gauge suggestions included with most yarns.




[I posted some of this on the Chic Knits blog earlier today, too.]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home